Friday, February 24, 2012

Baking cookies.

This is probably the second or third "review" I've done that is almost more of a rambling than an actual review. I'm not sure if I should count them. But at the same time... this blog was made to keep me writing. And I'm way behind. So I guess I'll keep writing these kinds of "reviews" for now.

Anyway... I love baking cookies. Actually, I love baking in general, but cookies more than anything else. There are several reasons for this. First and foremost should be pretty obvious: Cookies are delicious. I mean, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and almost all of them are gooey and delicious, if done right. Plus they have just about infinite variability. You want nuts? Put in whatever kind you want. Chocolate chips? Throw 'em in. Want to see if they're any good with some extra cinnamon added in? Extra vanilla? Less sugar? Sure, why not? Part of the fun of baking is altering the recipe to suit your own personal taste. Sometimes it's fun just to experiment to see if you like it or not.

I'd have to say that probably part of the enjoyment is a sense of nostalgia. I remember back when I was younger, one of the things my mother would do to keep us kids occupied relatively constructively for a bit was to start baking something and then to have us help her. I remember enjoying those times, just as much for spending time with my mom as for knowing that there were going to be cookies (or cake, or fresh bread, or whatever)  afterwards.


Another thing is that it's something to keep me occupied. Sure, it only takes an hour, or two at the most, if you're including baking time, but as much as I love being on the computer, sometimes I just want to get off and clear my head, but I don't feel like reading a book or exercising. Baking gives me an outlet for that. I just wish it weren't so fattening. (But, hey, that's what sharing with friends is for.)

Bottom Line: Baking cookies is a fun activity that gets you out of your chair for an hour or so, and you get a delicious treat at the end of it all. And let's not forget that baking your own treats is cheaper and more delicious than buying cookies from the store. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment